Employee counselling services and process (www.emds-hrconsulting.com)
What can we offer you?
1) We will come in and talk with the employee: Talk with the employee to specifically define the problem in terms of the behavior that needs to be changed.
2) We will always focus on behavior: Focus on behavior that the employee can change and that is within control of the employee.
3) We will enlist the employee’s assistance: Enlist the employee’s assistance in determining specific suggestions for changing the behavior in order to create a sense of ownership on the part of the employee for the solution to the problem.
4) We will establish a means of monitoring: Jointly establish a means of monitoring and follow-up with the employee to verify compliance.
5) We will emphasize the consequences: Emphasize the consequences of not fulfilling the behavior contract-specifically deal with the question of what will happen to the employee.
6) We will then schedule follow-up meetings with a timetable.
7) We will always offer encouragement: Offer encouragement and indicate that we support the employee and that we want him or her to do better.
8) We avoid getting involved in personal off-the-job problems with the employee, and certainly avoid telling the employee specific steps he or she should take in his or her personal life.
For example, we do not ever tell an employee that he or she should divorce his or her spouse. If the problem rests here, we may suggest marriage counseling.
Elizabeth Babafemi (HR Consultants) Employee Counselling!